I love kimbap so much. It’s one of my favorite dishes to show people how to make and you can impress anyone when you serve it because it’s so pretty and looks so complicated.
Kimbap is typical served as a snack or appetizer but it’s a perfect meal as well. It does require a bit of prep work but I think they payoff is worth it.
This dish also has a special place in my heart because any time I flew home to North Carolina to see my mom and sister they would have some kimbap with them which was awesome because it took so long to fly home that it was so late when I finally arrived I would be starving. I also really loved it because it was our little ritual and something special they did for me as a homecoming.
- 4 cups cooked short grain sushi style rice
- 2 large eggs or 3 medium eggs
- 1 heaping handful of spinach, will cook down
- 1 carrot, shredded
- 4 long sticks of pickled radish
- Cooked meat of your choice (4 slice of sirloin were used here)
- 4 sheets of seaweed paper
- 2 tablespoons of soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons of rice wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar (1 tablespoon each for soy sauce and vinegar mixes)
- salt to taste
- 1 small clove of garlic
- Sesame oil to taste
- 2 teaspoons sesame seeds
- 1. Marinate meat with soy sauce, sugar, and set aside.
- 2. Beat eggs together and make an omelette. Let cool and slice into long strips.
- 3. Shred carrots and season lightly with salt.
- 4. Slice pickled radish into long strips and set aside.
- 5. Blanch spinach and season with salt, garlic, and sesame oil. Set aside.
- 6. Cook marinated meat and let cool. Slice into long strips and set aside.
- 7. Season cooked rice with rice wine vinegar and sugar. Set aside.
- 8. Now it's time to assemble. Lay one sheet of seaweed with the shiny side down. Spread a small layer of rice on it leaving the last inch or so free of rice.
- 9. Place carrots, radish, meat, egg, and spinach in the top third of rice layer.
- 10. Roll the kimbap up and use the rice as a glue to seal shut. Let rest.
- 11. Use a sharp knife and cut into small bite sizes.