Ginger Carrot Soup
This delicious soup is very versatile. It’s so creamy and smooth. It’s also an excellent way to use up the carrots coming out of the garden right now.
The first time I had this soup I wasn’t sure what to make of it. My husband and I were at a restaurant in Munich. The menus were in German. Our German was very limited as was the waiter’s English so I just told him to surprise me. I think it’s the fastest way to get to know a country. You just dive right into the food.
The server placed a bowl in front of me that had the brightest and most interesting orange stuff in it. Never one to be shy I pick dup my spoon and scooped a big spoonful into my mouth. It immediately tasted of carrot. I had never had carrot soup before and I wasn’t even sure if it was a thing but it took my brain a second to process the flavor. Each progressive bite was better than the last. My husband even liked it and he detests vegetables.
Carrots are rich in vitamin A, Vitamin C, Vitamin K, vitamin B8, pantothenic acid, folate, potassium, iron, copper, and manganese. You already know my love for ginger and it’s health benefits.
I purposefully left this recipe on the basic side because the sky is really the limit when it comes to flavors and seasoning. If you want to add a little kick just sprinkle in some cayenne or chili oil. Want a little fun add some numeric or cumin. You can thin it out with sour cream or more broth. This is definitely a recipe you can let your imagination run wild with.
- 2 lbs carrots, peeled and cut into coins
- 2 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 1/2 of onion, chopped
- 2-4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 thumb of ginger, peeled and minced
- salt & pepper to taste
- thyme or other desired herb (optional)
- Heat vegetable oil in a large pot. Toss in onion, garlic, and ginger and cook until softened.
- Add carrots with a pinch of salt and sweat the carrots a little.
- Add broth and stir. Place cover on pot and wait until carrots are tender.
- Ladle small batches of cooked carrots and broth into a blender and blend until smooth.
- Run through sieve. Serve or freeze.