Chocolate Swiss Roll Cake
My husband really enjoys this Swiss roll cake and I do too. It’s just the right amount of sweet and chocolate to satisfy your craving.
This batter is a little stiffer than most cake batters. Cocoa takes more time to absorb liquid and can seem like it’s not coming together but have some patience because it will work.
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/3 cup cake flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp instant coffee
- 4 eggs, yolks and whites separated
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup confectioner's sugar
- dash of vanilla (optional)
- 4 oz bittersweet chocolate chips (or semi-sweet if you prefer)
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1- 2 tablespoons of milk
- 1. Preheat oven to 425 F.
- 2. Mix coca powder, cake flour, salt, baking powder, and instant coffee in a large bowl. In a Separate bowl mix egg yolks and sugar until pale yellow. Slowly mix egg mixture into large bowl with dry ingredients. In another bowl whip up the egg whites until ribbon stage. Mix a quarter of egg white mix into the batter. Mix more egg whites into the batter until all is mixed together.
- 3. Spray a jelly roll pan or baking sheet with vegetable oil or cooking spray. Place a piece of parchment paper on top and grease that too. Spread the chocolate batter onto parchment paper and place in over for about 8 minutes.
- 4. Take cake out of oven. Dust with confectioner's sugar to prevent sticking to towel. Place a kitchen towel on top with a cooling rack on top of the towel. Turn the cake onto the cooling rack. Carefully remove the parchment paper and gently roll the cake into the towel. Place seam side down to finish cooling.
- 5. Whip heavy cream, sugar, and optional vanilla for the filling. Gently unroll the cooled cake and spread an even layer of filling on the cake avoiding the last inch or so. Roll the cake back up and place on top of a cooling rack with a baking sheet under the cooling rack.
- 6. Heat the heavy cream for the ganache and pour in chocolate chips. Once the chips soften stir until well mixed and add 1-2 tablespoons of milk for a pourable consistency. Pour over Swiss roll and let cool.
- 7. Slice and serve.