Braised Chicken Thighs with Purple Potatoes
Delicious and juicy braised chicken thighs. I love one pot meals. Toss some ingredients into a pot and awesome things happen. This is an easy recipe that is so adaptable and changeable that you will be able to satisfy any picky eater in your household.
I love using purple potatoes and carrots because the color contrast is great but purple potatoes actually have more nutritious value than regular potatoes. They are loaded with antioxidants and if you keep the skin on you will also get a boost of vitamin C.
You can change out chicken thighs for other cuts of the chicken but I like them because they are more flavorful and juicier.
- Chicken thighs, bone in skin on, 4-5
- 6-8 small purple potatoes, quartered
- 5-6 carrots, peeled and cut into 2 inch pieces
- 1/4 red onion sliced
- 2 cups chicken stock or white wine
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
- Sprigs of thyme (optional)
- 1. Preheat oven to 375 F.
- 2. Place an oven proof pot onto stovetop and heat up to medium, medium-high heat. Drizzle in olive oil.
- 3. Salt and pepper chicken thighs and place in hot olive oil, skin side down. Cook about 6 minutes each side. Remove chicken thighs to a plate.
- 4. Using the leftover olive oil, sauté the red onions until slightly soft. Deglaze bottom of the pot with chicken stock or white wine.
- 5. Toss potatoes and carrots into the onion mix. Place chicken thighs on top and sprigs of thyme if using. Salt and pepper to taste.
- 6. Place pot in the oven without the lid and cook for 30-40 minutes. Make sure chicken is cooked through and vegetables are tender. Serve when ready.