Strawberry Swiss Jelly Roll
This is an easy favorite around the house and I can easily whip it up for unexpected company.
This sponge cake is very versatile and I use it for other things besides jelly rolls because it’s light and airy but still holds it’s own when there are sauces or fruits involved.
Take your time when mixing the beaten egg whites into the batter. We want to keep the air we’ve worked into the egg whites to make the batter fluffy. If you lose too much air then the batter gets dense. It just takes a little patience.
I really hope you enjoy making this recipe.
- 6 eggs separated
- 2/3 cup of sugar, halved
- 1 tsp vanilla
- pinch of salt
- 3/4 cup of flour
- powdered sugar for dusting
- 2 cups heavy cream
- sugar to taste
- homemade strawberry jam
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Grease jelly roll pan or baking sheet. Place parchment paper on jelly roll pan and grease that as well. Set aside.
- Whip egg whites up, slowly adding 1/3 cup of white sugar. Whip until you have soft peaks and set aside.
- Mix salt and flour until combined. Set aside.
- Mix vanilla and egg yolks until combined. Slowly stir in flour mixture little by little until combined.
- Mix some egg whites into batter. Cut in until combined. Repeat this until all egg white mixture has been incorporated into batter.
- Spread onto jelly roll pan evenly making sure you reach the corners too. Place in oven and bake for roughly 10 minutes keeping an eye on it because it cooks quickly.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle powdered sugar on the cake. Place a clean kitchen towel on the cake and turn out onto a flat surface. Remove parchment paper. Sprinkle more powdered sugar on cake and gently roll it up in the kitchen towel. Set aside to cool.
- Whip up the heavy cream and sweeten to your liking. Place in refrigerator until needed.
- When cake is cool, carefully unroll it. Spread a thin even layer of strawberry jam. Spread two thirds of the whipped cream on top of the jam and gently roll the cake back up. Serve when ready with a dollop of whipped cream on the side.