Delicious Honey Cornbread
I can’t believe it took me so long to post a cornbread recipe! This is my go to recipe because it’s fast and makes enough for a meal and some leftovers.
I always serve cornbread with beans. It reminds me of when my dad cooked fifteen bean soup and made a batch of cornbread for my sister and I. We were young so we didn’t care much for the beans but we really did love that cornbread.
My husband is an English muffin kind of guy and his experience with cornbread was crumbly dry bread that sucked the moisture out of your mouth if you could get any in your mouth so I’m happy that the recipe made him a convert and he enjoys cornbread now too.
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 cup heavy cream or milk
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- Preheat oven to 400 F. Grease 9 x 9 baking dish or equivalent.
- In a large bowl, mix the all purpose flour, cornmeal, sugar, and baking powder together until incorporated and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix heavy cream, vegetable oil, honey, and eggs together until fully incorporated.
- Stir wet mixture into the flour mixture and mix until just combined. If you over mix the cornbread will be very crumbly.
- Pour mixture into a greased 9 x 9 baking dish and place in preheated oven for 20-25 minutes.
- When cornbread is done, let cool for ten minutes before slicing.