Fried Green Tomatoes
I’m back! Thanks for being patient while I took a small break. If you’re new to me and Kimchi & Cornbread then welcome.
Fried green tomatoes is a southern classic and I think everyone should try them at least once. It’s a dish you make when there are loads of green tomatoes on the vine and you really want that first taste of summer but none have ripened yet. Well this simple but delicious dish is perfect for those underripe tomatoes.
I hope you enjoy this recipe and I can’t wait to show you other simple foods from the garden.
- 2 underripe green tomatoes
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg
- cayenne pepper
- oil for frying
- Place an inch of oil in pan over medium to medium high heat.
- Mix cornmeal, flour, salt, pepper, and cayenne in a small dish. Set aside.
- Beat egg and buttermilk together in a small dish. Set aside.
- Slice tomatoes into 1/4 slices and blot with paper towel to remove moisture.
- Dip tomato slice in buttermilk mixture, dredge through flour mixture, and place in hot oil.
- Fry until golden on each side.