Roasted Beet Salad with Goat Cheese
I love beets! I love the color, the taste, and they are pretty good for you. This salad is a mixture of earthy, sweet with salty creaminess. It’s the perfect way to enjoy beets for the first time.
Truthfully, I’ve only really started liking beets a few years ago. Like most people, I associated them with the smell of dirt and the first time I had them they were raw so the texture didn’t agree with me.
My lovely French friend, Catherine, introduced me to beets at a simple lunch at her house. Delicious beets, good bread, and great cheese. Nothing could have been more satisfying that day and I’ve loved beets ever since.
- Beets (1-3 small beets or 1 large one per person)
- 1 small scallion or a few chives
- Goat cheese to taste
- Red wine vinegar or balsamic to taste
- Pinch of salt
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- Preheat oven to 425 F.
- Trim tails and leaves off beets and cut into similar sized pieces. Lay our on parchment paper lined baking tray.
- Drizzle olive oil and sprinkle salt on the beets.
- Place in oven and cook until fork tender, roughly 25-35 minutes. Remove and let cool.
- Once cool, use a knife or spoon to peel the skin from the beets. Cut into smaller pieces if you like and place in a bowl.
- Chop scallion or chives and sprinkle over beets.
- Drizzle red wine vinegar or balsamic vinegar over beets and mix well. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Before serving, sprinkle goat cheese over the beets.