Quick Vegetarian Arroz Mamposteao, Puerto Rican Rice
I just got back from an amazing trip to Puerto Rico and I’m excited to share some of the dishes I picked up while there. My version is slightly different as I cut down on some of the steps to save time but the flavor is still there. I will also so that sofrito is typically blended until smooth before cooked but I like the chunky vegetables in the rice. It’s up to your preference though.I really hope you enjoy this recipe and I will have more dishes with Puerto Rican flavors in the future.
- 3 cups cooked rice
- 1 1/2 cup cooked or 1 can, drained, habichuelas rosadas (pink beans)
- 3-4 roma or plum tomatoes, diced
- 3-4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 cup culantro or cilantro, chopped
- 1 medium green bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 medium white onion, diced
- 2 teaspoons of achiote powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- salt to taste
- olive oil
- Heat olive oil in a pan or pot.
- Saute onion and green pepper until slightly softened.
- Add the tomatoes, garlic, and culantro/cilantro and mix in.
- Add the achiote powder, cumin, and salt to taste. Simmer sofrito on low for 10 minutes.
- Add in the beans and warm through.
- Add rice. Mix well and serve.