Cranberry Beans and Arugula Salad
I love checking out the produce section of specialty stores. I was going through Mi Pueblo, a local latin American grocery store, when the bright pink color of the cranberry bean pods caught my eye. I had to buy some!
You can find these dried as well but get them fresh if you can. I think I may try to grow these in the garden next year.
This is a simple and easy recipe that is delicious and fun to make. Unfortunately the beans will lose their color when cooked but the flavor is really good.
- 2-3 cups of fresh cranberry beans, shelled
- 1-2 cups of arugula or watercress
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons basil or parsley, chopped
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook fresh beans in boiling water seasoned with 2 tablespoons of salt for about 10-20 or until no longer mealy.
- Drain beans and while still warm toss with basil, lemon juice, and salt, and pepper to taste.
- Eat alone or sprinkle beans over a bed of arugula or watercress.