This is definitely not your typical ground beef taco! This dish is made with juicy skirt steak and cooked the way you like. You can get arrachera from a street vendor or in a restaurant in Mexico.
Delicious soft flour tortillas can be made at home too. They take a little longer, make a little mess, and require some more effort but they are delicious. This recipe make twenty so it’s enough for some tacos and then I use the rest to make freezer burritos.
- 3 cups flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1tsp baking powder
- 1/3 cup sunflower oil
- 1 cup warm water
- Mix flour, salt, and baking powder together until well combined.
- Mix in oil and water until combined.
- Turn mixture onto floured surface and knead for 3 to 8 minutes.
- Divide dough into 20 pieces and form pieces into balls. Place in a bowl, cover, and let rest for 20 minutes.
- Heat skillet, griddle, or pan to medium-high.
- Roll each dough bad out to desired size and cook on griddle. Flipping until desired color is reached.
Chilaquiles is a corn tortilla and chicken dish served for breakfast in Mexico. It’s sort of like nachos. The sauce can be anything from salsa verde to a red sauce. This recipe happens to be a super spicy sauce from a restaurant called Toks. Their dish was called Chilaquiles Mayas and I loved it.
There is nothing like homemade corn tortillas. These also freeze well so make plenty ahead and put some in the freezer for when you need them.